Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #57 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

My, my, what a surprise, he's going to talk about a few songs and what they sound like!

While I can't really say I'm a massive Portishead fan - perhaps because I haven't listened to Dummy with enough care - I find myself enjoying this song thoroughly.
I was incredibly excited when I first discovered it, and I thought of making an effort to discover more music that had this sensual sound to it. Quite accidentally, however, I ran into Tricky's Hell Is Around the Corner one day, which is also a great tune, and it sounded a bit familiar:

Has a bit of a swagger to it, eh? Well, immediately thought that he had perhaps sampled Portishead: I had no bloody idea that both bands had sampled Mr. Isaac Hayes' Ike's Rap II:

In fact, I had never heard of that man my whole life. Quite a nice song, really.

What really blew me away, however, was the fact that I didn't in any way associate these songs with this major hit:

It's this kind of thing that makes me feel absolutely clueless sometimes.

Which is the better song? Well, I can't really say, but I listen to Glory Box the most out of all of them. I love the jazz guitar in it, it has such an immense sound. It's the perfect balance between smooth and gritty.
Throw Beth Gibbon's voice into the mix and that timeless bassline and you've got a classic tune in your hands.

And did I mention that John Martyn covered the song? Oh yes...:

The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote