Music Banter - View Single Post - Jaga Jazzist - What We Must
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Track View Post
Bump...

Seeing Jaga Jazzist in about a month
Lucky. I saw them in Ottawa in 2004 on their first North American tour. They were fantastic and actually started their set with the title track to What We Must before they had a name for it (they told the crowd it was called "We're so happy to be in Ottawa tonight" ). Unfortunately for me, Ottawa has a very strict 11pm noise bylaw and it was an outdoor show so they had to cut their set short compared to some of the live gigs I've downloaded. SUPER jealous.

Having said that, I also think What We Must as an album is their weakest release. The title track is great but the rest of the disc doesn't really do much or go anywhere to my ears. One thing that really stands out as odd to me though is that whenever I hear that song or album I immediately think of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album. There's something about the lush production and the amount of instrumental layers that go into the JJ tracks that just triggers that connection in my head.

Still haven't been able to score a copy of 'One Armed Bandit' but if that title track is any indication the band has been moving in a slightly Zappa-esque direction recently. Dunno about you, but that's pretty awesome in my book. Enjoy the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote