Music Banter - View Single Post - Transgender in Disney
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Could you elaborate on that more because I don't understand how that could be. Not the mermaid piece, but the genitalia piece.
I'm not really sure. I'm not gender dysmorphic. I guess it might be because the children think that the only thing separating them from being the gender they feel they are is their genitalia. It is in a way. Anyone can cut or grow out their hair or pick up a trident or some coconut shells.

This article mentions Disney's The Little Mermaid in particular:

Quote:
Ariel’s Cinderella story parallels the transgender wish to such an extent one can really not ignore the obvious. Ariel wishes to become a ‘real girl’ by changing her body and is told that she cannot, and ultimately does lose her tail for a couple of legs. That combined with her long flowing hair and other Disney-esque attributes of beauty make her a super heroine for a transgender child. She is the epitome of feminine beauty while having a non-traditional body. She is told she can’t be a girl and do what girls do, and yet she does.
The association with transgender little girls and an obsession with mermaids has been talked about so much it's become a bit of a cliche but there are definitely a lot of children that identify with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote