Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer: Reign in Blood- 1986
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
About GG's Octopus as being genre defining, I may be incorrect in writing this, but I thought MB was a bit special in hyping that record. When I look at progarchives, both In A Glass House and Free Hand are more highly rated. I don't think it's particularly genre defining as it features GG experimentations similar to what they'd put out before and it was released in 1972 when prog had had time to mature a bit.

In regards to your review, I get Jans' point about judging RIB by the criterias that it should be melodical and harmonious to be good a little unfair. However, I can't say I fully disagree with you as I too quite like melodies and harmonies.
Tore, when I mentioned "Octopus" as genre defining, I was alluding to many of the commenters here-- primarily from when I posted my "Octopus" review. I used to live on progarchives, and you are correct that some other GG albums are rated higher. For me, and I mentioned this in the comments after my "Octopus review, I like "In a Glass House" better.

And, per your recommendations from that thread, I am going to give GG another shot and give "Free Hand" and "The Power and the Glory" a listen.