Music Banter - View Single Post - Transgender in Disney
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #86 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I think we're putting too much adult thought into the implications for children. Children don't think like we do. If they see a boy playing with a doll or wearing a skirt, the answer is literally as simple as "He's a boy that wants to be a girl."

Children are much more accepting of these concepts than we, people who've been shaped for decades by society are. Childhood is not a confusing age. I don't think many children question their identities at that age. The fact that they're just kids I think is a good reason to introduce them to these new concepts, before their minds are made biased by society.
In some respects I agree with you, but just no directly being introduced to Disney so blatantly. I understand there are underlying indications of transgenders in the Disney movies but I think a better up bringing with an education from all sides will do far more for children's understanding of others than just flicking it in the odd Disney movie. Not only that, it is a sensitive issue for some parents who would end up banning kids watching Disney full stop if they did incorporate such a thing. That's counterproductive.

To sum up, I think if we educate society and the parents, the children will follow the lead.