Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #543 (permalink)
Rubato
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I don't even smoke and I've so far met 3 people in real life who have suffered anxieties after cannabis use. Two are friends of mine, the third is the mother of a close friend. All of them suffered anxieties for long periods afterwards, in my friend's mothers case so bad that it never left her. So, I've no trouble believing the studies that show such negative health effects of cannabis.

The only drug these people indulge in regularly that I can think of are caffeine and alcohol and I can't remember any of them telling me they were also drunk when it happened, so I don't believe that it's simply something that happens when you "mix".
cannabis and alcohol isn't a good mix, I'm not using my own experiance as evidence I'm just one social guinea pig weighing in. It could be possible that the unpredictable effects of cannabis is a result of using an unpredictable environment for your findings.

Quote:
When people smoke cannabis and drink alcohol at the same time they can experience nausea and/or vomiting, or they can react with panic, anxiety or paranoia. Mixing cannabis with alcohol can increase the risk of vulnerable people experiencing psychotic symptoms.

There is some evidence to support that having alcohol in your blood causes a faster absorption of THC (the active ingredient in cannabis that causes intoxication). This can lead to the cannabis having a much stronger effect than it would normally have and can result in ‘greening out’.

Greening out is a term commonly referred to in a situation where people feel sick after smoking cannabis. They can go pale and sweaty, feel dizzy, nauseous and may even start vomiting. They usually feel they have to lie down straight away.

It appears that this is more likely to happen if a person has been drinking alcohol before smoking cannabis rather than the other way around.
Mixing cannabis and alcohol NCPIC
Rubato is offline   Reply With Quote