Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #548 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
So is alcohol. I can drink it frequently and not turn into an alcoholic, unlike a lot of other people. Does that mean we should outlaw it?
First of all, I still find alcohol irrelevant to this discussion. Legalization should be about consequences and not allowing something just because we allow something else. Second, alcohol is not the same as cannabis. Perhaps society would be better if we didn't have alcohol, but considering most adults enjoy it and it's such an ingrained part of culture, society at large would probably not accept it's sudden illegality. If you really were to remove alcohol in a way which was beneficial, you'd probably have to find ways to wean society off it and that's sometimes done in subtle ways.

Either way, a sudden illegality of alcohol is not the same as a sudden legality of cannabis because the drugs have different uses, cultural significance and the two scenarios are completely different. So to me, that's another reason why the legality of alcohol is largely irrelevant when it comes to the legality of cannabis.