Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #571 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
And if you say not to do something because it's dangerous and they go ahead and do it anyway I don't really see how moving them out of the way and saying not to do it again is really that much of a deterrent.
And if you slap the child's hand and the child still persists in doing the dangerous behavior again, then what are you going to do? Punch her??

Young children (under 3, for example) *do* need to be supervised very closely to prevent them from hurting themselves, and this means you hover and remove them from dangerous locations, or remove the dangers (best option).

Little ones don't understand dangers as well as adults do. Rather than using pain and startling children to try to cause greater fear of dangers, just pick up the child or distract him away from the danger, while explaining what the danger is and saying "No" firmly. Repeat this as often as necessary. Eventually kids grow up and learn not to do obvious dangerous stuff...without ever having to be swatted.

Exactly what are these dangerous situations from which you need to protect children?

Worried about kids touching the stove? Use the back burners; put safety protectors on the dials; use a safety gate to keep the child out of the kitchen while cooking. Worried about the kids running into the street? Accompany them outside; hold their hands while on the sidewalk so they don't dart into the street. Want the child to stay away from the stairs to avoid falls? Close the door to the stairwell; install a solid safety gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
What's really crazy is that he is a family law judge who among other matters presides over child abuse cases. I'm not entirely clear as to whether or not the adult female in the video, who joins in beating the girl, is her mother - but regardless, she's just as culpable as he is. What a pathetic duo.
What I thought was awful, too, Ribbons, was the *reason* the judge and wife were punishing their 16-year-old daughter so violently: she had downloaded something illegally on the computer. Half of MusicBanter would be subjected to the belt, if that judge had his way!

More seriously, the hitting of a child is *always* worse than any behavior I've ever seen kids do that make adults feel "justified" in spanking/hitting them.

Is the child crying or fussing? Spanking is worse than that.

Did the child lie? Hitting someone is worse than lying.

Did the child use a foul word? Again, hitting is worse.

Did the child call the parent a mean name, showing "disrespect?" Hitting is worse than mean names.

Basically I think spanking kids just comes down to adults being bullies because they are bigger and they can get away with it, and they are impatient. I think some parents believe they are supposed to be dominant over their kids and never have their authority questioned. Treating their children respectfully is beneath them, so they resort to inflicting pain.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote