Music Banter - View Single Post - Suicide Silence
Thread: Suicide Silence
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
And I suppose all those power metal bands do?
Indeed they do. You think bands like Blind Guardian, Manowar, and Hammerfall are faking their love of fantasy and metal? And I think sometimes power metal bands do have too clean a production job, but since they're not really trying to sell aggression like a Killswitch Engage or a Meshuggah, it doesn't really ruin the music in their case.

Quote:
Anyway, dirty production/fuzz can be just as boring. "Funeralopolis" would sound horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible if it had clean production.
Again, I'm not saying everything has to be fuzzed out or lo-fi. I'm saying that many modern bands go too far and lose any sense of emotion. Like I was saying about Anthrax. They most certainly do not have a fuzzed out, lo-fi sound, but they do have a certain grittiness to their sound that sells the aggression in a way that say, Trivium will never have, even if they are more "extreme".

Quote:
But then again, fuzzy production with something like Blackwater Park would detract from the sound. The cleanness of the production definitely isn't sanitized or fake and doesn't make the sound of the BP any less aggressive.
I haven't listened to enough Opeth to make a judgement on them. They kinda bore me TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
I find the best quality about Meshuggah's sound is their coldness. To me, they wouldn't be the same if every band member was po-faced, trying to force emotion and heart into every note. For the style they play, the cold, calculated nature of the production fits the music perfectly.
To each their own. But it's not about being po-faced, it's about making an emotional connection with the listener. I get that emotional connection from Anthrax, even if they can be silly. Meshuggah, I get nothing from. I might at well be listening to a computer put out metal. This kind of metal is supposed to be aggressive. It's supposed to connect with your own sense of anger. If that doesn't happen all you have is impotent noise.

Quote:
Did you listen to As the Palaces Burn? I remember that album being as gritty as New American Gospel or maybe that's just because my rip is only 192kbps lol
Many times. It's certainly not awful in the way that Sacrament is just plain awful. I mean I don't hate it, it just doesn't really excite me anymore like it did a few years ago. It's got some excellent riffs, and some good songs. But the production has no bite. The guitars have groove, but not much else (did I already say that earlier?). It's not the same emotionlessness I was talking about earlier, but's to me it's that same idea of metal being made for the Hot Topic crowd that doesn't get metal in the first place, and probably doesn't even notice a band's production.

Of course I also don't like the vocals. Randy Blythe went from sounding uncompromising and tortured, to sounding like a corn balled tough guy trying to sound vaguely "extremish". And I'm also just not a big groove metal fan. But that doesn't really have anything to do with the production.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote