Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official OFWGKTA thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #772 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

But it was never specifically marketed for a mainstream market. I take it we're talking mostly about Tyler here, so let's just focus on his case.

The millions of views were earned. Yonkers was a well made video that gained notoriety because of its immediacy and uniqueness in the Youtube sphere. It was pretty left field if you ask me, but the fact that it was so controversial and challenging garnered the attention, not the fact that he marketed it to a big demographic (well, I guess angst comes in a lot of forms).

MTV was a dream for Tyler, and, truth be told, I have no idea how he got there. Maybe the indie demand was so huge they decided to go with it. That's where you see him, is the indie community of MTV (which has kinda turned its back on him). Tyler, though, is a complicated boy; he yearns for mainstream acceptance but shoves it away with his attitude. I mean, that was a large theme in Goblin itself.

I'd say they deal with a lot of the themes in a cartoonish manner, so it could be seen as childish, but while it's tongue in cheek, it's still extremely menacing and hardly agreeable. There's hardly a time where rape and the humorous portrayal of it is accepted, and Tyler and Odd Future's case isn't too special.

Young teens latch onto a lot of things out of rebellion and angst, but they'll turn their back on it. They've latched onto Punk Rock, does that make the genre of any less merit? Some teens turn to Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, (metal in general really) Elliott Smith, or Nirvana. Do we knock them?

Janszoon, you're my subject of hatred now. c; I'm not very familiar with Marilyn Manson though, does he name drop serial killers (besides Charles Manson)? We could being up Sufjan Stevens and Elliott Smith on that charge as well.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote