Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #312 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Erica, if you possibly can, get the used Silver Sister Strat! I think it’s a much better guitar than the Squier Tele. The Squier Tele sounds really good on the video; but in my experience with Teles, they are less forgiving than Strats in terms of action and playability. You have to “fight” a Tele a bit more to get versatility of tone out of it – it’s a difficult guitar to play, in a way – and with a cheaper Tele, which is harder on the fingers, the challenge becomes greater. Plus, you already have the Squier Strat and like it; so I think you’ll love the Silver Sister Strat!

On the other hand, what I love about the sound of the Telecaster is its brightness and clarity and very good chord definition. It has a mellow, jazzy bottom and bright top. It can sound full and almost orchestral if you treat it with the slightest bit of chorus. It’s great if you’re basically a rhythm player who occasionally does little solo flourishes. It’s a popular guitar with country and soul players. A very soulful guitar with twanggg. With a Telecaster, rather than the guitar playing you, you’re playing the guitar – you get to put more of your own expression and personality into it. It’s almost more like an acoustic instrument than an electric one. I also like the more compact body of the Telecaster; it seems somehow more manageable to me than a larger guitar, which is like trying to pick up a chair and play it.

Here’s an example of a song where the sound of the Telecaster is prominent. James Honeyman Scott of the original Pretenders is one of my favorite guitarists; he was a guitar connoisseur and had loads of guitars, but used a Telecaster here. I love the solo (although I wish it would go on longer!):

ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote