Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #319 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Thank you, Liz. I like your use of words, too! I'm happy you are touched that I made something creative for you. I'm grateful to you that how you are inspired me to want to be musical and do something I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
On another note (or in this case a million notes ): God, how I hate Van Halen! Perhaps Eddie should be locked in a room and forcefed Honeyman solos to learn about economy of playing in service of the song. I think my ears just “erupted” (the good one, that is – can’t put the headphone on the other ear just yet ) listening to that!
Well, you've discovered at least one benefit of having temporary hearing loss in one ear: you didn't have to listen to Eddie's solo with both!

Yes, let's lock Eddie in a room with Honeyman solos! You describe the problem I have with Van Halen's guitar solo perfectly: he is not demonstrating "economy of playing in service of the song." I appreciate solos that blend with yet accentuate the feeling of a song rather than take over and become their own monstrous entities.

Even if I don't like listening to all of Eddie Van Halen's music, I enjoy watching him play it. I've always thought Eddie Van Halen was cute because of his mischievous, happy smile that he often flashes. He reminds me of an endearing, enthusiastic puppy. Maybe I'll go post about him in the attractive male musicians thread.

^Dawww. He just looks so happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
That guy covering the “Kid” solo is really good; he nails it perfectly down to the sweet harmonic at the end. I’ve always loved how Hynde comes in right after, singing, “Shut the liiiight” - sort of echoing the harmonic on the first word.

Time for me to shut the liiiight now….sweet dreams to you, dear Erica.
The guy covering the "Kid" solo is really good! I've listened to him around 30 times now. He plays confidently and effortlessly and shows how elegant the fairly simple fingering is.

I also love how Hynde echoes the harmonic on the first word of her post-solo entrance! I hadn't thought of how to put it into words, but you found a way. I love how you notice and appreciate subtle details, Liz. I hope you had sweet dreams, too.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote