Music Banter - View Single Post - Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #184 (permalink)
Mr November
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
Who has yet to tell me what moral reasons there are for homosexuality being wrong and why tradition is more important than civil rights...
I'm not really sure what a moral reason is... Morals are arbitrary unless they come from a concept that helps the society. The real question is, what (if anything) about homosexuality shouldn't be embraced by a fair and equal society? Does homosexuality infringe on the fair rights of non-homosexuals?

And I kind of see what hip-hop-bunny is saying about civil rights. Regardless of whether it is considered one by law (no idea if it is or not), why should it be considered a civil right? To me marriage is a religious institution - and not one that I particularly value anyway.

But if the government is giving out benefits based on marriage, then un-married couples should at least be able to access those exact same benefits and be accounted for in the same matter in all respects.

On the other hand, maybe legally recognizing marriage is an infringement on the civil rights of single people. I guess I don't really fully understand the issues but I think it has something to do with how you file tax returns and bla bla bla.