Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #120 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Big3, he's not talking about "tuning". He's talking about the general aesthetic of the guitar solo (which I personally don't find very creative at all, to be honest, but that's by today's standards anyway).

By "general aesthetic", we're talking about the progression of each note played, the dynamic between each note, the bends, and the overall sound which consists of everything I just mentioned, and the tonality and feel of the sound, along with the creativity behind it. "tuning" would denote specifically the tension of each string and which frequencies they resonate in relation to the other strings.

So he's talking about the whole picture. For example, if you liked the sound of the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony, you would not be referring to the way the strings are tuned. Well, maybe you would, but the point here is that blastingas is not.
Alright, now we're talking. Fine Blastinga is talking about the whole picture, but all those variables come together to create one sound, not multiple sounds. So you have tuning, and relativity, and blends, and bends, whether its a strat or a fender...but thats all one note.

So is it really the culmination that creates the sound, or the sounds together. If that solo was backed up by, say, a mariachi band, would it be just as good? Do we know? Does its duration constitute something less than a whole melody? Why don't we ever talk this deep-down about stuff? Its where the real stuff is.

Don't you quit on me, Freebase. Don't you ****ing quit on me.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote