Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #143 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

It's been interesting thus far reading your reviews - I've found that I agree with much of what you say, and when I disagree... well, I'll have to think about why!

My exposure to The Beatles was spotty when I was younger - I think my mother suffered from the same sort of over-exposure that you did (though possible a little more as she probably lived through somewhat more of their music than you did :P), so it wasn't until I was 13 or 14, and was really starting to get into music that I first heard albums like Abbey Road and Sgt Peppers. For me, those albums that I listened to first are the ones that have stayed with me as my favourites, though I will admit that I haven't listen to most of their albums anywhere near as much as Abbey Road, Sgt Peppers and the White Album, something that I really need to fix!

The thing I love the most about Abbey Road is the way that the latter part of the album forms one seamless sequence, ending in that very simple but wonderfully pitched drum solo in The End. While most of the constituent sounds could be deemed mediocre in the grand scheme of things, it's the way they all fit together that makes it brilliant. My favourite song? Probably She's so heavy I understand where you're coming from with the lack of direction comment, but I just love the layering of noises in it, particularly the end sequence. Least favourite is harder to place, as it's been a while since I listened to the album, but it's probably Sun King. The reason why I think is less to do with the song itself, and more with how much I've connected with every other song on the album.

Sgt Peppers is the other album of theirs you have reviewed thus far, and is one that I heard very, very often over a period of two years, because it was on the curriculum when my sister was doing state music exams :P Again, as with Abbey road it's rather hard to find fault with the songs on the album. I think one of the reasons why The Beatles are so consistently voted one of the greatest bands of all times is the simple fact that it's extremely hard to find a "bad" song by them. Some of them are simply less great than others, or at least, that's how I see it! I found it interesting that you referenced a similarity between elements of this album and Primus - it is not a connection I had made previously, and will be listening out for it the next time I play it.

As a matter of interest, what's your opinion of the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise) track? When I was younger and less interested in anything that wasn't travelling at a decent pace I preferred the reprise to the original, but over time I came to enjoy the pacing of the original better.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote