Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #146 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
It's been interesting thus far reading your reviews - I've found that I agree with much of what you say, and when I disagree... well, I'll have to think about why!
Thanks man! That's nice to hear.

Quote:
Sgt Peppers is the other album of theirs you have reviewed thus far, and is one that I heard very, very often over a period of two years, because it was on the curriculum when my sister was doing state music exams :P Again, as with Abbey road it's rather hard to find fault with the songs on the album. I think one of the reasons why The Beatles are so consistently voted one of the greatest bands of all times is the simple fact that it's extremely hard to find a "bad" song by them. Some of them are simply less great than others, or at least, that's how I see it! I found it interesting that you referenced a similarity between elements of this album and Primus - it is not a connection I had made previously, and will be listening out for it the next time I play it.
I've actually also reviewed Revolver as well, but it probably got lost in all the discussion. For anyone reading this, I've created a little table of contents with a link to each review in the OP of this thread.

Anyway, this is the Primus song I was referring to, which is the intro track to The Brown Album (a title obviously inspired by the Beatles as well). It doesn't really sound like the song "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" but it has sort of a similar vibe to me:

Quote:
As a matter of interest, what's your opinion of the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise) track? When I was younger and less interested in anything that wasn't travelling at a decent pace I preferred the reprise to the original, but over time I came to enjoy the pacing of the original better.
I think I kind of view it as an extension of the original so I like it. I guess if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the original though.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote