Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #147 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
This is a really unique observation, Janszoon. Sometimes when I hear “Good Morning Good Morning” I think of “I Know There’s An Answer” on Pet Sounds. They are similar thematically, and the distorted brass on “Good Morning” (though faster-paced) reminds me somewhat of that amazing bass harmonica winding its way through “I Know There’s An Answer”.
Definitely. I was thinking specifically of that song, but similar sonic textures crop up more subtly on the album elsewhere as well, like on "Let's Go Away for Awhile", "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (I think). Plus there's the whole animal sounds factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
I’ve been skimming a book on McCartney’s bass skills (Paul McCartney – Bass Master by Tony Bacon & Gareth Morgan) and the Sgt. Pepper’s section indicates that many of his bass lines on the album were attempts at creating a tuba-like, "oompah" tone on the bass. McCartney’s grandfather had played an E-flat bass in a local brass band, and that may have served as inspiration. During the Pepper sessions at Abbey Road an employee was dispatched by McCartney to go “buy an E-flat brass bass” - and of course there is the cover photo with The Beatles dressed in bandstand clothes.
Heh. That's interesting. I can definitely hear that in some of the songs.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote