Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Essentilal Britpop Albums?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Goofle
the worst guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Wait, grunge and britpop pretended they were making music that was unappealing to mainstream audiences? Pretty sure that's not true. Trying to bring a different style to the mainstream is more like it.

If you're a hipster you're a hipster, but the whole elitist attitude that the typical hipster brings is becoming a punchline. Your words just looked like what a hipster would say. "trying to be indie" when in reality, many of the best indie artists try to have a mainstream audience as well. It sounds like hipster elitism, thats all.
Well yeah, we are on a music forum. A bit of elitism is bound to happen. I think we can all man up and take it on the chin.

Also, my initial point was that britpop isn't a genre, it was just a bunch of bands making pretty generic, radio friendly, alternative rock who got popular and started dominating the charts.

Then, other bands copied the already watered down alternative rock sound and you ended up with a sea of rubbish, which happens to every genre in the mainstream.

I think my point about them "trying to be indie" was misunderstood. I am certain that most britpop bands wanted to make accessible music, but I feel that they came across as though they were the alternative to whatever crappy pop was dominating the charts, as if they weren't already making derivative rock music themselves, and there wasn't great music being made outside of what you hear on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote