Music Banter - View Single Post - Best torrent site...?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Torrents are great for getting movies, games, software, ebooks, pdfs, and music. Many of the file uploading sites have a file size limit and often times throttle your download speed if you're using their free version, most egregiously with RapidShit. I know it's a hard compliant to make with a straight face as you download something for free, but when other, better sites like Mediafire let you download fast and easy without having to wait 90 seconds, it's really hard to wonder why anyone would want to use anything else. While it's true that torrents do have a bit of a learning curve, we're also fortunate enough to live in a day and age where information can easily be accessed by using the very same electric smiles machine you're using to read this post right now. The only real downside to torrents is when nobody seeds the file, or there's only a couple and the download takes a long time, but again, how much can you really complain when you're getting something for free?

As for the best torrent sites, they're usually the ones that have some kind of membership where you can only join up by being sent an invitation code by an established member. Sites like demonoid and what.cd are the ones I've used in the past, although my membership with what.cd is currently disabled because I fell behind on my upload to download ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by These guys View Post

On the other hand, mediafire works far better for grabbing albums.
It was, but I've found that since Megaupload was taken down, Mediafire has done quite a bit to remove itself from that same circle. A few of my other pirate chums have had their accounts deactivated and all their files deleted, which I suppose is better than them leaving it available for some fed douchebag to find. The day Megaupload went down I deleted my account, so I suppose if that was the FBI's long term intent, mission fucking accomplished.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote