Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #1888 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

the album i got from bob is Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat's Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water

it's sounding good on 1st listen, need a rehearing before i can come up with a review

it's post-apocalyptical folk that sounds a bit like Nick Cave

edit - ok, have reheard it:-

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat - Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water

This is a pretty stark, bleak minimalist post-apocalyptic folk album. It sounds almost beautiful overall, the melodies contained usually sound fragile and ethereal. The vocal melodies sound somewhat like Nick Cave's, though the backdrop is closer to Nick Drake's, even if there are distorted electric instruments here and there. I think the placement of notes and selection of chord progression are tasteful.

It gets really good when it hits a really sombre funereal mood, such as Harrow, which is my favourite song here. The rest all range from good to quite good. My only problem with this album? Well, each song aren't more than two or three chords, so a single song sort of drones and gets repetitive after a while. When the singer's laying a sinister melody, it works. But when the melody is kinda "static", it sounds a bit dull.

7/10

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.

Last edited by Howard the Duck; 03-22-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote