Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #420 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well, it seems rather empty to keep everything going just for the sake of keeping it going. It just seems to say that it's worth tricking ourselves into thinking that we're doing something worthwhile, when all we're doing is perpetuating a system that doesn't matter anyway. In the end it's all just a delusion that has no importance. Why should we? If we pressed a button that ended the world, the universe wouldn't care, and we wouldn't even be around to feel sad that we were gone.
Well, then it's not really a question of god anymore. It's asking what the purpose of life is. I feel just the fact that you are asking this question is reason enough to keep going. To me, the purpose of life is to keep learning. Not in an academic sense (though that is a big part of my personal life experience), but in a gaining wisdom kind of way. The reason I say this is because a big part of human nature is curiosity. We are constantly sticking our noses where they don't belong because we just want to know what's going on. This is why reality tv is huge, certain people will always be carrying out scientific research, and why we all watch the news to varying extents. Not knowing something really frustrates people. At the risk of pissing off some religious people, I think that is where religion comes in. You have people who take the unknown and throw themselves into it to learn something and you have people who find the unknown too scary so they come up with a satisfying explanation.

This is why I can easily say my faith is in science. I am patient in my understanding of the world, and I am satisfied in knowing I am doing my part to elucidate even a tiny part of the great mystery of life. This is also why I think it is a waste to just kill yourself. While I can see how life can be overbearing for people (sometimes it feels that way for me), I think everyone has something to contribute to the larger consciousness of the world if they just try to learn.