Music Banter - View Single Post - Irish Music
Thread: Irish Music
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Greg_RacialHostility
Groupie

Default Duke Special

Hi guys, being from Ireland, Irish music is always something I listen to a lot and have good time for. For me, Duke Special is most definitely up there with the top Irish acts. This guy uses a great range of instrumentation, he has some absolutely beautiful melodies and writes music in a very original way. I recommend checking out his stuff, particularly the first album 'Songs From the Deep Forest'. Also, Villagers are a fantastic Irish group. I wasn't a massive fan of them, and ended up with a ticket to their Marley Park show in Dublin last summer. I didn't have the album prior to this, though knew a hand full of songs. The show was magnificent, Conor O'Brien, the main songwriter and vocalist/guitarist/etc has such a unique voice, one that is really beautiful. He hits a lovely range in a number of tracks. I highly recommend their album 'Becoming a Jackal', and the stand out tracks being 'Twenty Seven Strangers', 'The Pact', 'Becoming a Jackal', 'I Saw the Dead' and 'Pieces'. But listen to the whole album. Also The Coronas are another wonderful Irish band, they're really making a name for themselves. A big breakthrough is well deserved, I saw them in Marley Park as well last summer and it was utterly brilliant. Great band, great performers. Bell X-1 are an Irish band that I listen to very regularly. They have some great individual tracks, and have some superb lyrics. I recommend watching their performance of the song 'Velcro' on the Late Late Show (RTÉ) from 2011. It is wonderful.
Expect more posts haha, cheers guys!!
Greg_RacialHostility is offline   Reply With Quote