Music Banter - View Single Post - Irish Music
Thread: Irish Music
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Queen Of The World
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
*Cough*

What counts as "irish influenced" anyway? I mean, ask most people what irish music is and they'll either name someone like Daniel O'Donnell and some tweedledeedee fiddle stuff, or bands like Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly, most of whom are actually american. As a country, you really might as well say "Here's a thread for all British influenced music" for how well it defines a genre. We've already had Thin Lizzy, and some of the Irish trad stuff on guitar, and trad stuff on violin. Then you have bands like U2, The Chieftans/The Dubliners.

Then there's stuff like this little gem by Stoat, which is unfortunately isn't one of their best songs (the range on youtube is limited), but it gives you an idea of the kind of music they do.

What something a little less odd and a bit more amusing? The illustrious Dead Cat Bounce are one of the best bands in the comedic business, if you ask me:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're looking for music that is influence by Irish Traditional Music, then that's great, it is a genre with a great culture and background, but please make the distinction. It's a little insulting to Irish musicians to assume that that's all the entire country has to offer
Sure, I can make it more defined. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I browsed the forums and there wasn't anything really for Irish music in general, and I just wanted some suggestions of any sort of music that is:

- Made by Irish musicians whether in Ireland or not
- Influenced by Irish style, traditional songs etc
- Celtic
- Traditional
- Modern
- Fusion eg. Afro Celt Sound System
- Appreciation in general of this music

Sorry if I offended anyone. Hope this makes it more clear for anyone who has issues with this thread.
Queen Of The World is offline   Reply With Quote