Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone hear of John Fahey?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
He single handedly created America Primative Guitar. Strangley enough I read somewhere that he's credited for first to play New Age music, because he mixed different genres together.
I can understand why he`s considered a new age pioneer and it`s especially apparent on the America album that Howard mentions. At the time the original was issued, 1971 I think, there was almost nothing comparable; who else was risking an album consisting of slow, rambling acoustic guitar instrumentals that lasted 12 minutes or more ? Just like New Age music, it was ideal for chilling out and focusing on the minutiae of sound that comes from one simple instrument.

In fact I became such a fan that I ended up with seven JF albums,
Blind Joe Death
The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death
Requia
The Yellow Princess
America
After The Ball
Old Fashioned Love

...of which After The Ball , signaling a big stylistic change from his earlier albums, remains my favourite. Sadly, my copy of this melancholy masterpiece has been locked away in an inaccessible London basement for 20 years - so if anyone can help me find a replacement, a PM would be truely appreciated.