Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Afro-Pop Week!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsupermazembe View Post

I just realized that Nigeria has a population of 170 million people, making it the world's 7th(!) most populated country surpassing Russia, Japan and Mexico. Or two of the most populated European countries (Germany and France) combined! So, it's no big wonder that Nigeria has been able to produce such a prominent music scene with big superstars like Fela Kuti and King Sunny Ade.
Glad you liked the clip from Guinea, djsuperm! The population figures for Nigeria also help explain why there is a bitter feud on some of the Ebenezer Obey sites about is he Nigerian, or is he some other tribe/nationality that I don`t recall.

I really liked the Malombo clips; guitar-driven African music is one of my favourite sounds. So using that as an excuse, I`d like to move away a little from Afro-pop and share a clip which is more like Afro-rock, I guess, because it sounds like the guitarist listened to some Zappa solos before he picked up his instrument. Anyway, Tamikrest come from Mali and this is a live version of a song from their excellent 2010 album:-

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 04-14-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: could find the clip
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote