Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #181 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushingavengedtheaters View Post
Not a chance, the best element of music is the human interaction. The skill, the feel, the talent needed to produce a sound of a musical instrument. That is lost with a computer. Anyone can press buttons, but not everyone can strum a string to make a guitar solo, and not everyone can keep beat one a drum set, and that's the beauty of music. Probably why I'm not the biggest rap fan, it's computers.
"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination." - Albert Einstein.

Also, I have to say, this post is just flat stupid. I'm a guitar player. I know all about the human element of feeling in music. I'm also not a luddite, so I've actually tried to make music with a computer, something you clearly haven't.

It is every bit as difficult and complex as creating music with your hands, and its entirely possible to wring as much feeling from a computer as from a human being if you spend the time to do it properly.

Reducing computer based music to "anyone can press buttons" is stupid. Yes, anyone can press buttons, but anyone can hold down a key on the piano too. Anyone can hit a drum. Anyone can strike a guitar string. Those are not complex tasks for which a measure of innate talent is needed. You don't even need a working pair of HANDS to do those things, you could hit them with your face if you wanted to and the tasks I've just listed would be achieved.

You're comparing "keeping beat on a drum set", which is a significant and deep advancement from the basic element of "hitting **** with sticks", to "pressing a button", which is not a sigificant and deep advancement of anything.

A more worthwhile comparison would say "Here is this thing that on drums takes practice. Does making music on a computer, as a process, necessitate elements that would take a commensurate amount of practice?"

The answer is blatantly yes. People don't spend decades of their lives learning how to mix and master properly because its easy. People aren't born with some kind of innate knowledge of what MIDI is and how it works and how to create tones from an FM synthesiser as opposed to additive or subtractive synthesisers. Nobody bursts out of the womb knowing in their blood the proper way to sidechain instruments to a kickdrum and compressor.

All of those above things take time, effort, and skill to perfect. Amateurs are not capable of doing them. And thats barely even scratching the surface of how many things a really good electronic music producer needs to know how to do and be able to do.

None of them, none whatsoever, are just "pressing a button", and you reducing them to that in your description is absolutely ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote