Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 5 Albums from Each Year: 1965-2000
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #123 (permalink)
cledussnow
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
I think you are underestimating the albums I mentioned. Sure they may not be your number one, but they changed music more than pretty much any albums to date in the history of modern day music. The sheer amount of influence they produced makes them automatically bounce to the top. Why do people almost always say Hendrix is the best guitarist? Not because he is the best at the instrument or wrote the best songs but he influenced more musicians than probably anyone else in history.
Surely you jest.

I specifically said there were good cases to be made for LZ, Hendrix and The Beatles. They were all phenomenal. The OP had Revolver and Rubber Soul listed in earlier years. If you look through the first page it is obvious the OP likes more Avant Garde, Glam and Proto Punk than the typical RnR that Zeppelin and Hendrix were absolute masters of.

Staying with 1969 specifically, Hendrix didn't release an album. Zeppelin is super, but hardly ground breaking in 1969. Heck most of the tracks on their first two albums are cover songs. Now they EXECUTED every song superbly and are arguably the best RnR band ever, but I wouldn't say the 1st two albums are hands down in the top 5 for 1969. "Abbey Road" is fantastic, but certainly not the Beatles strongest album.

"Let it Bleed" is probably the Stones best album and should be mentioned also, along with The Stooges first album, Neil Young's "Everyone Knows This is Nowhere", Jethro Tull's "Stand Up!, Isaac Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul", David Bowie's "Space Oddity", The Who's "Tommy", arguably the first Rock Opera (apologies to Mark Wirtz), MC5's "Kick Out the Jams", and probably Flying Burrito Brothers' "The Gilded Palace of Sin".

There are simply too many that "belong" in the top 5 and as I said before, it might not be the same as MY top 5, but the albums listed for 1969 by the op are SOLID choices and certainly do not warrant such attacks.

FWIW MY top 5 for 1969 would be:

1) King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
2) Led Zeppelin - LZ I
3) Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
4) Chicago - Transit Authority
5) Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote