Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 5 Albums from Each Year: 1965-2000
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #133 (permalink)
cledussnow
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post

I think you're confusing revolutionary with originality here, some of the most revolutionary bands in the history of rock such as the Who, Sex Pistols and Nirvana weren't overly original but they were revolutionary. Led Zep were revolutionary because they fused blues and hard rock better than anybody else had done in 1969 and went off like a bomb. Bands like Free and Jeff Beck had done this type of thing about a year earlier and before that bands like Blue Cheer had played blues louder than anybody else and Cream had laid down the criteria, but it was Led Zep that revolutionized the whole thing. The 1970s was the era of hard rock and that is mostly down to the influence of Led Zep at the start of the decade. As Rez had also said, nearly every heavy act since was influenced by Led Zep. They along with Black Sabbath made both hard rock and heavy metal what it is today. Do you still think there is nothing revolutionary about Led Zep? If you doubt anything I've said, a bit of research will bring you to the same conclusion.
OK I think that was said very nicely. I don't have a problem with that definition. You are absolutley correct, they were revolutionary because they were the first to bring all the elements together so perfectly. THAT is a legitimate argument.

My whole point is really about the stupidity of chastising another's list because "best" is subjective. Every one of the albums listed by the OP have a valid part in the discussion of "best" albums of their particular year.

There can be no denying the HUGE influence of Trout Mask, In a Silent Way, and In the Court had on music. Bands that were influenced by Zeppelin are probably more mainstream and more widely known than the bands who would cite those other albums as influences, but surely we can all agree that well-known doesn't automatically equal "better".

To simply dismiss the list as pretentious is about as ignorant as someone arguing Led Zeppelin I wasn't revolutionary....

Last edited by cledussnow; 05-24-2012 at 06:58 AM.
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote