Music Banter - View Single Post - Non-UK European Prog
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
RIO = Rock in Opposition. A movement started by the band Henry Cow. Initially they were just against the music industry, who they thought were too narrow minded, and didn't sign many avant garde bands. So they basically set up a "festival" to expose Brits to a few of these lesser known bands.

There were some internal political strife within the movement, and it eventually went away. A few of the members had started their own record company to promote and distribute these types of bands.

Eventually RIO started being used as though it were a "genre". Unlike most genres though this is applied to those bands who were "avant-garde", strived for "musical excellence", and were "socially comitted". So now the term applies to those older bands who were actually participating in the movemnet, but also to those who were influenced by them and are seen to be "carrying the torch".
ok, tqvm

that also reminds me, i have a few Henry Cow and Art Bears that needs listening to

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote