Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #6227 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Basic Blues Magoos - Blues Magoos

A slightly lighter affair than Psychedelic Lollypop and Electric Comic Book, this sounds more like a collection than a full on complete album, but I still love the fact that I have it in my collection as it contains some prime Magoos. Following up with the Early 1967 fall-down in popularity that many Garage Punk bands faced, they tried to sound a little more professional with "I Wanna Be There" and bubbled under and then going way out with the killer "There She Goes," which had a slightly off-tune backing band chorus and wacked out guitar solo which put off many radio stations enough for it to go seriously nowhere. About 3/4 of a year later, they wound up on their third album which was filled with some good Psych Pop including a good Move cover ("I Can Hear the Grass Grow") and the fine opener "Sybil Green (of the In Between)", a couple of acoustical songs ("Yellow Rose") and some indulgence like "Scarecrow's Love Affair" that ended with at least a minute of a tractor and a very low amp hum called "Subliminal Sonic Laxative." At least a solid Side One ends with the cool "I Can Move a Mountain that showed that they were starting to move beyond the G-Punk and into more moody Psych Out territory.

Sadly, the album was released way too late, a little over a year after Comic Book. The band looks '67 Pop style (Mod-like hair shorter than before, no Pepper influences) although looking like a band that was not too comfortable with the change. They were gone for far too long, and the non-acceptance put this in the cut outs shortly after it's May, '68 release with the original edition of the band splitting up quickly after that.

I'm more for the first two snotty G-Punk classics, where the band sounded like that they were on a mission, but as for a late night chill out with some (Freak)Beat, this is a good thing to throw on the turntable. In the night time, a lot of these fine Late 60's albums that under-performed in the Mainstream sound just right.

Damn...I'm now in the mood for some 13'th Floor Elevators!

Last edited by Screen13; 06-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote