Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #65 (permalink)
Holerbot6000
Music Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Did TMR really change rock music the way Rolling Stone predicted it would. Well, it didn't change CB's music, because he never revisited it to that level again. Some elements of Mirror Man Sessions came close, and I think the extended form he allowed the songs on that album make it far more important in the whole oeuvre, yet it is almost completely ignored.
I may be misunderstanding you here but when you say that Trout Mask is unique in the Captain's oeuvre, that just isn't the case. The Decals album was a direct extension of Trout Mask, and though he did divert for awhile into a more commercial sound, his last 3 records took many of the ideas on Trout Mask and extended them even further.

You can't underestimate the influence of Trout Mask either. There was an explosion of really idiosyncratic rock bands, from No Wave to New Wave, that occurred in the mid to late 70's and a lot of them cited Beefheart and Trout Mask as a direct influence.

There's no shame in not liking or 'getting' Trout Mask - it's clearly not for everybody. When you try to diminish it's importance though, I think that's a tougher road to go down. There's too much evidence to the contrary.
Holerbot6000 is offline   Reply With Quote