Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #635 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by covle
what i initially meant was that the concept of christianity is made up.
Emperor Constantine of the roman empire is known to have construacted it. the ancent world was dominated by the pagan religious "mysteries". as the christian fairht was rising and the pagan world was shrinking constantine made christianity the official roman emprire religion. but the pagans wouldnt just switch religiongs, obviously. so the two were combined. for example halo's were the pagan sundiscs, sunday was the religious day of resting, whereas initially the christians sabbath was a saturday. etc ertc
but the jesus story is a myth. the pagans had similar religious "god-men" that died and were resurrected. the greeks called him dionysus, egyptions osiris, syrians adonis etc etc.
he was also a wonderchild born of god to a virgin mother, who was killed in differing but basically the same ways, hung, didmembered, everything. their birthdays were december 25th, celebrated a festival very similar to easter at the same time...etcetc
i was just wondering what modern christians thought or knew of all this, that christianity is not the revolutionary religion it claims to be, its not even original
not only did you not prove your point but you've made yourself look ridiculous, Constantine made up Christianity?! the only thing he did was declare it one of the official religions of the roman empire under the increased pressure because it was a religion that was expanding like no other before it and was becoming a very powerful factor in roman society ( he himself was not a Christian, as far as i remember ), the concept of Christianity was very original, and so were the teachings of Jesus, especially when you consider the surroundings in which they were born ( Judaism and paganism), the concept to turn the other cheek and love everyone like you love yourself, that every creature is equal in the eyes of God was incredibly revolutional ( and that's why many people, even the ones that don't believe Jesus was God, think of him as a revolutionary who's ideas and teachings eventually got him killed)
i don't know what your point is with the original sunday being a Sabbath ( duh, the first Christians were Jews ), and as far as i know they changed the day so they can be differentiated from the Jews, and it was/is proven that Jesus was a historical person and actually existed by numerous sources....
and i don't know what's the purpose in mentioning the dates of Christian holidays, everyone knows that Jesus was probably not born on the 25th of december, those dates are a construction of mankind and their only purpose is that on one day in a year we remember the birth of Jesus or his resurrection, and everyone knows that with all the changes in the calendar, even if Jesus was born on the 25th of december, that date doesn't correspond with today's 25th of decembre and this, in fact, is probably not 2004th year after the birth of Jesus....
i suggest you read the new testament and the wonderful messages Jesus had for all mankind and stop paying attention to insignificant things such as the random similarities between Christianity and other religions...this world would be paradise if everyone lived according to His teachings...

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote