Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip-Hop Knock out Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #63 (permalink)
The Big Dog

I'll throw my analysis in.

Chuck D: Obviously a big name in hip-hop. Considered to be one of the most influential MC's of our time and with Public Enemy gained both critical acclaim and notoriety.
Definitely a pivotal figure to a lot of guys who followed, as many have claimed him to be the originator of political rap or as some may brand it 'meaningful rap'
Chuck talked about oppression, slavery and racism which I guess resonated with many people in the 80's and even today.
Some (Rolling Stone readers) consider PE's second album 'It takes a million...' as the best hip-hop album of all time.

I prefer the Anthrax version of this track, so here it is.

Chuck only released one solo album, here's a track from it.

And another PE track

Talib Kweli: Alike Chuck D, Talib earned most of his recognition from a group: Black Star in which he and Mos Def teamed up.
He was a big name in the 90's, but I can't help but feel that guys like him and Mos Def wouldn't have existed without the earlier influence of Chuck D.
Talib's released 5 studio albums and is considered by many in hip-hop as being one of the most technically sound rapper.
I am inclined to agree, the dude's flow is sick.

here's a video as Blackstar.

This tie is the hardest so far for me to call, on one hand you've got the highly influential Chuck D with a recognizable voice and politically charged lyrics and on the other one of the smoothest flows in hip-hop in Talib Kweli.

I've got to ask myself who I think is the better MC. And that's why I've decided to go for Talib. If we're talking rapping ability, he's up there with the greatest of all time.

Chuck D 3
Talib Kweli 1
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote