Music Banter - View Single Post - Music downloads ? Give me a break!
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
You mustn't listen to a lot of music or have much variety at all. Thats fine, but you are of course judging music you havent even heard.

I would have thought it would be easier to say what kinds of music you DO like and then say you dont really explore much outside of your comfort zones.
Yeah, pretty much the point I was trying to make. You can't in fairness generalise an entire ERA, never mind a genre, without something to back it up. I also am not trying to fight with you, but your vague reasons given above would certainly not convince me of your argument. Personally, I HATE Elvis (with a passion!), Buddy Holly, Bill Hailey, and especially Roy bloody Orbison, but I would never denigrate their music and say it was all the same and boring. I just don't like the music they play, but recognise that others do, and that they are not completely representative of their era.
I would never make a comment like "all 50s music is terrible" because I have not the ground to stand on; I dont listen to that sort of music, so really I'm in no position to challenge or put it down. Neither are you.

That's the way I see it, anyway. It seems, forgive me, almost terminally close-minded of you to discount over twenty years of music without even knowing much about it, or trying to understand it. How can for instance, screamo be the same as progressive rock, or dubstep be related in any way to ambient? If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should realise that you're therefore not really in a position to judge. I would urge you to listen to some post-90s music, then make your decision. And I dont mean the charts. There are plenty of people here who can point you in any direction you wish to explore.