Music Banter - View Single Post - Music downloads ? Give me a break!
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Oh, one other thing, which has not been addressed but formed part of your aversion to music after the 90s: downloading music. Well, sure, lots of people prefer CDs or even LPs, but don't forget that downloading music is a great way to "try before you buy", to see if you like the music you're planning to buy before you do. In a battered economy like ours, I couldn't possibly afford to buy all the albums I THINK I might like. I used to do that when I was younger, and working, but circumstances have changed dramatically for me now, and downloading music is the best option for me. I have a huge vinyl collection, but my turntable got busted and I've never really bothered to replace it.

Sure, today's music is almost instant and always accessible via ipods, YouTube, itunes and so on, but that's how the world is today, and in fairness, some artistes have gained fame through those media in a way they could never have done had they just been trying to sell CDs. So music downloads, while a pain to a purist like yourself, certainly fulfil a need and perform a valuable service in our world today.

Anyway, I guess they're not going anywhere, so may as well get used to them!