Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #328 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Very nice, I loved the illusions to the other works.
Thanks for your feedback, Conan.

I think the downside of the allusions I made is that almost no one would get them if I didn't explain what they are! "Everywhere" isn't going to make most people think automatically of the song "Everywhere," for example ... but it was part of the private language specific to my relationship to that individual, and so I liked using references he would have understood immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Erica, thank you for sharing your beautiful song for Jack, and I also love the references. Your lyrics relay such a strong sense of what Jack was like as a person and the reasons why you loved him so much.

In reading the lyrics you quoted from "Within You Without You", I immediately thought of the following passage by Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore. Just thought I'd post it here, in honor of Jack's memory and the very special bond you shared.

"Those who are near me do not know that you are nearer to me than they are
Those who speak to me do not know that my heart is full with your unspoken words
Those who crowd in my path do not know that I am walking alone with you
They who love me do not know that their love brings you to my heart.
"
Liz, thank you so much for that lovely quote from Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore in honor of Jack and my memories of him. The quote is beautiful and so very true, I've found. I am comforted by reading words that show other people understand the emotions of losing an intimate loved one.

I had never heard of Rabindranath Tagore before (Rabindranath Tagore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), so thank you for introducing me to him. I had completely missed learning of this very creative individual. Tagore's dedication to his creative spirit throughout his life is inspiring.

I read on Wikipedia that Tagore's wife and two of his children died before him. Perhaps their loss inspired the quote? I also read that he died after excruciating pain, which is sad: "A period of prolonged agony ended with Tagore's death on 7 August 1941, aged eighty." I always hope that the joy of having lived a full life isn't completely eradicated by the pain of dying. I am moved by his last poem, dictated to a friend, which reminded me of my loved one for several reasons:

“I'm lost in the middle of my birthday. I want my friends, their touch, with the earth's last love. I will take life's final offering, I will take the human's last blessing. Today my sack is empty. I have given completely whatever I had to give. In return if I receive anything—some love, some forgiveness—then I will take it with me when I step on the boat that crosses to the festival of the wordless end." ~ Rabindranath Tagore

I always feel some comfort from knowing that my loved one's boat was not empty when he crossed to "the festival of the wordless end," because my love went with him.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 03-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote