Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

05. MC5 Kick Out the Jams 1969 (Elektra)
Detroit Rock-Hard Rock
When the **** hits the fan!

Overview
Kick Out the Jams Motherfuckers! That line would become synonymous with this Detroit band, whose debut album and a live one at that, would become one of the most controversial albums of its time. In fact the so-called offensive word would be supplanted by the far milder "Brothers and Sisters" which kept in line with the true ethos of the 1960s. The album was essentially a hard rock album that relied on the energy of the Detroit rock sound and the album would go on to become an integral part not just of hard rock history, but also as an essential proto-punk release where its actually held in even higher esteem! As for the recording of the album, MC5 decided not to bother trying to emulate their live power in the studio, but instead went for a live album and producer Bruce Botnick was drafted in. Bruce Botnick had previously worked with luminaries such as the Doors and Love, so he knew his stuff. This live album was recorded at Detroit's Grande Ballroom and set out to capture the band's riotous acid-fuelled live show in its full glory. The album is complete with their famous public interaction sections that are littered throughout the album.

Rob Tyner- Vocals
Wayne Kramer- Guitar/Vocals
Fred "Sonic" Smith- Rhythm
Michael Davis- Bass
Dennis Thompson- Drums

Production- Bruce Botnick

Album
Ramblin' Rose- Brothers and sisters, let us start the revolution...... as Rob Tyner's voice kicks in and starts proceedings. Kick Out the Jams- The unforgettable title track and one of the stand-out tracks on the album. Come Together- Might be the best track on the album and Keeps the energy ticking over, and at times frontman Rob Tyner and the rest of the band sound like they're on the verge of exploding! By now the album should be a real experience for the listener. Rocket Reducer No.62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)- Kick butt name and sounds like like something that the Stooges could've done around that time. Borderline- A filler track that is enhanced with the band's live energy. Motor City Blues- The most bluesy track on the album. I Want You Right Now- One of the longer tracks on the album and a highlight of the B-side. Starship- An almost space rock number clocking in around 9 minutes, where the band have totally flipped out and the song serves as the perfect finale to this whole experience, this is the type of song that Hawkwind would turn into a fine art a few years later.

Verdict
So how does this album rank up? From a music perspective its probably the weakest album of the ten I've selected, BUT where it gains its plaudits is in its sheer energy and attitude which it has by the bucketload, this was a band that knew how to inject a real dosage of power into a somewhat average song, of which there are a number of on this album. At times the album feels literally on fire and has the whole thunderous experience of a band that are truly espoused with their rabble rousing ideas of both revolution and struggle, which were truly opposed to the love and peace ethos of many of their 1960s brothers and sisters. The guitars on the album were tightly interlocked and were combined with the blazing rhythm section, which was the envy of the Detroit music scene at the time. The album even today is widely acclaimed as a icon of its time and a member of "Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums List". It also ranks along with the Who's My Generation as one of the hardest hitting debuts of the 1960s making it a vital part of any music collection. As a footnote to any of these modern day metal bands out there when it comes to being controversial.....just check out this album out as this was being controversial! Their follow-up studio album Back in the USA is another essential listen as well.

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 10-20-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote