Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #196 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Probably "good but overrated". It would be hard for them not to be overrated with the reputation that have but they do have some great stuff that I come to enjoy a lot more since starting this thread.
Half of rating is from the critics and the other half from their fans. I don't think the feeling of fans for The Beatle should be seen as a criteria of them being over-rated. I don't think The Beatles are over-rate because simply they were the favorite band of their generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's supposed to sound shitty? Well in that case they achieved their goal. I'm not talking about key it's in though, I'm talking about the actual playing, which sound like a new member joined the band and was struggling to keep up.
Who where you expecting George to play like Michael Angelo Batio? That's just how they played guitar in the 60s, and I enjoy the style even if it sounds counterintuitive to how guitar playing should sound like. There isn't much difference imo in his approach to his guitar playing on that song than say how the guitar players of of the 60s played. The Rolling Stones and the Velvet Underground played their guitars like they were just a new members who joined a band. I think George's playing is brilliant now that you mention it, because it matches perfectly the style of the other musicians playing thier instruments in a somewhat sluggish and rough manner. It's suppose to be an advant garde piece for it's time I think they did pretty well. There are different versions of the song. I love Georges playing on Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 7 and Edit Piece) as well.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 09-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote