Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #200 (permalink)
NYSPORTSFAN
Groupie

Music is a subjective thing. I have had people try to convice me that Velvet Undground tracks like "Sister Ray" and "European Son" are great songs but to me there garbage.

As for Magical Mystery Tour here is my review.

Magical Mystery Tour- Nice combination of R&B, rock and jazzy trumpets which actually was an influence on bands like Chicago. BBC sound effects tape of traffic riding past a microphone to good effect, too, panning in across the stereo spectrum at various points of the recording. Which they could have expanded on the jazz outro.

Fool on the Hill- Nice blend of flutes/recorders and piano. Some psychedelic touches with backward harmonicas and noises at the end that I can't really describe. A beutiful melody also.

Flying - It's like Booker T & MGS meets Space Rock. Melltron and innovative use of backwards tape loops makes it another trademark Beatles song.

Blue Jay Way- Very Indian influenced track with no guitar or sitar. Use of vocals through Leslie Spearkers, phasing on the drums, lone cello and backward instrumenation makes it another song filled with odd sounds.

Your Mother Should Know- The mono version with phasing on Ringo drums makes the song a Dance Hall meets psychedelia.

I Am The Walrus- Stomping, electric piano-driven beat married to avant-garde tape loops, sampled taped radio broadcasts, strings, brass, choirs. distorted lead vocal and Mellotron.

Strawberry Fields Forever- Childlike lyrics -enhanced-by-acid-trip-inspired track. One of the first notable use of Mellotron. Backwards cymbals to exotic instrumentation to tape loops to tape-speed manipulation to over-compressed drums and bass to outside orchestration. The arrangement is effectively dynamic and atmospheric. Spooky tacked-on false ending, too.

Penny Lane- Possibly Pet Sounds-influenced but in the end sounding very much Beatlesque. Nice baroque touches using piccolo trumpet and use of pianos recorded through a guitar amp. Another great melody with an interesting use of feedback at the end on either harmonium or piano.

Baby You're A Rich Man- A psychedelic rocker with funky overtones and Oriental sounding electroncic parts. A track that I could imagine Prince doing.

All You Need Is Love- Not really one of my favorite Beatles tracks but the hippie love theme that the Beatles started on the "The Word" on Rubber Soul is realized here. Unusual use of time signatures and the blending of various songs on the fade-out makes it an interesting song.
NYSPORTSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote