Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #220 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

An excellent review of Magical Mystery Tour by Janszoon, full of perceptive comments, almost all of which I agree with. His comment on Blue Jay Way is perfect; "never quite rises above it`s own murk" And yes, Flying is disappointing, especially as it`s the only officially-released Beatles instrumental. It was a chance for them to show what they could do in this format, and this song seems to give the answer; "They`d probably sound really mediocre."

Yes, the expanded American release is much better, because of the quality of those added-on singles. Luckily, the contentious issues of key, and Harrison`s playing on Strawberry Fields go right over my head. For me this is a fabulous, ground-breaking song which is much more than just the sum of its parts - which is why I wasn`t much taken with the Cadillac`s cover version.
Although Janszoon doesn`t seem to agree, I think I Am The Walrus is also a stand-out classic. Maybe looking back from today, it`s difficult to recall the delicious sense of outrage that this song generated when it was released. Another ground-breaker by The Beatles in their creative prime, I remember people at the time asking each other with disbelief, "WHAT is he singing ? How can he say that ! It doesn`t make sense.". Some people laughed, one impressionable teenager who prefers to remain nameless thought it was the most incredible song ever recorded.