Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #30 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

01. Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin 1969 (Atlantic)
Blues Rock
Now this is where you go to 'spank your plank'

Overview
Unlike any other band and album on here so far, Led Zeppelin arrived like a nuclear bomb and played louder than any other band around at that time. It was obvious from the word go, that they had a musical chemistry more electrifying and dynamic than any other rock 'n' roll band that had gone before them. This had a lot to do with the diverse musical background of its band members, as both Robert Plant and Jimmy Page had come from a heavy blues and R&B background, and had featured in bands such as the Band of Joy and the far better known Yardbirds, which had also served as a base for guitar maestros Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. Whilst the rhythm section of John Paul Jones and John Bonham had come from a jazz and soul background. In fact the band were originally known as the New Yardbirds, but quickly adopted the far more original Led Zeppelin moniker. From the word go, it was obvious that the band had an amazing grasp of dynamics that put most of their contenders into the shade and each band member wielded their instruments like a weapon. The band also had an enviable live show that was often highlighted by musical solos and band improvisation, that would quickly turn into legendary musical events and like any great heavy band of the era, they were hugely disliked by the musical press, an opinion that would later change after the true impact of the band had been revealed. The amount of best ever albums list that this band would make, would be an enviable record in the history of rock.

Robert Plant-Vocals
Jimmy Page- Guitar
John Paul Jones- Bass/Organ
John Bonham- Drums

Production- Jimmy Page

Album
Good Times Bad Times- We're quickly introduced to the groovy and bluesy shuffles of the band. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You- One of the most mesmerizing songs ever recorded with its stunning dynamics, gentle acoustic sections, all of which contrast with the louder pummelling sections, along with Robert Plant getting all hot and bothered throughout. You Shook Me- A Willie Dixon cover, its heavy and sweaty blues at its very best and some great work by John Paul Jones. Dazed and Confused- Psychedelic blues and the showpiece track on the album with a career defining display by Robert Plant and with Jimmy Page's guitar trawling the depths of black despair throughout, all this combined with the trademark pummeling rhythm section of the band. Your Time is Gonna Come- With the drums and guitars working in perfect unison, this song kicks off the B-side. Black Mountain Side- An instrumental and introduction to the folky leanings of the band, something they would explore on later albums. Communication Breakdown- A power drill delivery by the band with its frenzied attack. I Can't Quit You Baby- The second Willie Dixon cover on the album and one of those legendary heavy blues tracks by the band. How Many More Times- The 8 minute finale to the album where the band probably indulge for a bit longer than they should, but who cares when they sound this good.

Verdict
Not only is this one of the best and most blistering debut albums ever recorded, along with the Doors and Jimi Hendrix Experience debuts that had been recorded a couple of years earlier, but it's also one of the best albums ever recorded in the history of rock regardless of genre. In just thirty hours studio time, the band had laid down a collection of power drill rhythms, climactic blues and blazing riffs that would be the hallmark sound of the band. Jimmy Page as guitarist and producer combined his joint duties to startling effect and in Robert Plant they instantly had one of the most recognizable vocalists around, with his orgasmic bluesy wail that often sounded all hot and moany. In hindsight, this album ushered in a new benchmark for all albums at the heavier end of the musical spectrum with its sweaty power blues sound. Furthermore, the album is actually more diverse than initially meets the ear, because throughout the heavy onslaught, diversity such as psychedelic blues and folky leanings can all be detected, making this musical masterpiece a slightly eclectic affair at times. Even today I would still pick this as my personal favourite Led Zeppelin album and it easily makes my top 10 all-time favourite albums list. Hell this album is just pure sex for the ears, with Robert Plant moaning and groaning his way through proceedings!

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 11-01-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote