Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #69 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Piper always gets mentioned in the same breath as The Wall, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here on anything that I've read about the band and on here it' s held in the same esteem as those albums, so I can hardly see it as being an "overlooked gem" Even the OP thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course Gilmour is going to be held in higher esteem, he's played on nearly all of the band's albums, whilst Syd only managed to play on one and a bit albums, before he was trollied off to the funny farm.
Here apparently it's not, but if I am going to go by what I've seen... Other forums I used to visit with music sections mostly held their concept albums as the pinnacle of their career. There were mentions of Piper here and there but not often. I admit I haven't come by any reviews of the album, so I can't comment there. Only a few articles I've read about Pink Floyd, that's about it.

Presently here in big parts of social society being involved with, including the bar/pub scene which is pretty big, they off course have albums or tracks from DSotM, The Wall, or WYWH, not their earlier work. From what I gather Pink Floyd are mostly known for their conceptuality rather than their psychedelic artistry which is the most prominent in Piper. I'm pretty sure a lot of people today get to Piper after being introduced to these dominating albums... or anything earlier for that matter.

I guess obviously the albums I'm comparing it to are the most commercially successful albums. People tend to stick to them. That was my angle.