Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #76 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I totally agree about both albums. Everything on Atom Heart Mother except "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" is fantastic and The Final Cut is like disc three of The Wall (which, to me, is a good thing).
I've always had mixed emotions about The Wall which I've tried to convey many times. On one hand it's an absolute work of genius. On the other hand, it's beyond catharsis. There's no veil between artistic license and personal history. Listening to the album from start to finish can sometimes be like being paid by the hour to listen to Roger Waters tell you about how he got to be the ****ed up individual he currently is (I'm not implying anything about Roger Waters current mental health. For all I know he could be the most perfectly well adjusted human being on the face of planet Earth)

The Final Cut really conveys a lot of the same emotion that The Wall does without being quite so starkly candid. I definitely agree that it does seem like the third disc of The Wall and it may receive the criticism that it does because from a certain perspective it's just an epilogue to The Wall and a prelude to Roger Waters leaving the band and the ensuing legal nonsense. I think if their was another album between it and The Wall it would be seen as just a great Waters-centric Pink Floyd album, which it really is.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote