Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Band: 90s Seattle Era.
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #745 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
Pearl Jam refused to do music videos for a long time and boycotted Ticketmaster. Eddie and co. had a colossal set of balls, and that's rock and roll to me.

As I said before, Nirvana was just another MTV band. Remember when the MTV executives didn't allow them to perform Rape Me at the VMA? Cowards..
This is completely ridiculous. When Nirvana released Bleach in 1989 do you think they were just another MTV-friendly band? I think not. If you wanted to be an MTV-friendly band in 1991 would you have a sound like Nirvana? I think not, you would have tried to sound like INXS or Extreme. Nirvana's success was a rare occurrance and certainly not what they were aiming for. You haven't given any clear evidence of Nirvana being just another MTV band other than from the perspective of a Pearl Jam fanboy bashing Nirvana for the sake of bashing Nirvana.

Pearl Jam on the other hand had a more commercial rock sound in the early-90's than Nirvana. Taking Ten and Nevermind into consideration it's obvious that Ten is the more commercial-sounding album. Even though Ten was originally released before Nevermind it was re-released the following year for no other reason than to gain sales on the back of the rise of alternative rock to the mainstream. Seems like a very commercial thing to do.

This is coming from a person who grew up listening to both bands. But if I was to choose now I'd choose Nirvana over Pearl Jam any day.