Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #556 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

There are tons of Dylan songs out there that I haven't been able to get ahold and I'm sure very few people have. The full basement tapes, for one. There were a lot more songs than the ones that made the official release. I have a Dylan book that has a whole section about rare Dylan recordings. Another book you may want to look into is a book called "revolution in the air" by Clinton Heylin. It goes over every one of the first 300 Dylan songs known to exist. This includes songs that are only known to exist due to people who witnessed him perform these songs in person when he first moved to New York City, songs that were never recorded. There's the "mackenzie tapes", songs that were recorded on the Mackenzie's (a couple that he stayed with when first arriving in NYC) tape recorder. These have been auctioned off to someone, can't remember who. This probably isn't the type of thing you were talking about, but all i know is there has to be tons of Dylan songs out there that are not circulated and are just kept in private collections.

Have you heard the song "I'm not there"? I believe it was first released on the soundtrack for the movie of the same title. It's a great song that I really enjoy even though the lyrics can't even be comprehended at times.

PS: chives, why don't you go check out the Neil young thread in the classic rock section. I'd like to get your opinion on the Neil/bob debate going right now.

Last edited by blastingas10; 10-18-2012 at 02:01 AM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote