Music Banter - View Single Post - FPK's favorite African songs
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #84 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Habari yako, Franco Pepe Kalle!

I didn't realize Swahili is also spoken in Congo. I looked on Wikipedia and found out that "Swahili serves as a national, or official language, of five nations: Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, the Comoros and the Democratic Republic of the Congo." You are fortunate, Pepe, to have the influence of your parents' heritage and multiple languages in your life.

Franco's message of freedom and self-determination is wonderful.

I'm thinking that Pepe Kalle's limited knowledge of English may have also limited the popularity of his music outside Africa?

I didn't know that most African musicians tend to be male even today, although I would imagine so because I think the separation between gender roles tends to be greater in Africa than in the U.S., for example.

Your post made me realize that I don't know of *any* female African singers besides Miriam Makeba. I'm curious which female African musician you will feature. I did a little online sleuthing and found out that two other famous (older) female African singers are Nayanka Bell and ...

Yvonne Chaka Chaka -- here singing the catchy song "Let Me Be Free"
She has a lovely, strong voice.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka - Let Me Be Free - YouTube

Regards,

VEGANGELICA
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote