Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Election Day — Obama vs. Romney
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #269 (permalink)
Hitch
Music Addict

The debate on foreign policy was quite repetitive and on numerous occasions sidetracked by "I create more jobs/better economy than you" stuff. Romney had toned it down quite a bit and was in agreement with Obama more often than not.

With regards to Afghanistan, there is no painless solution. It's going to take years, even a decade or more for a society scarred with theocratic bullying to recover from. It's commendable I would say, for the US to protect their women from rape and torture. This is of course not really the point since well, it isn't the only reason they're there for.

I find it funny that there are a few Gaddafi sympathizers and now wish that the US hadn't taken him out. This may seem unfair, but over the years, the onus has fallen on the US to remove tyrants and despots. I think Obama did a damn fine job at getting rid of this lunatic with so little casualties. Before Gaddafi's billion dollar PR campaign (which was a direct consequence of the Iraq war - scared him to bits that he might be next), this was the same guy who said he'd kill any Libyan dissident who dare to speak against him, anywhere in the world. And he did send out death squads on numerous occasions. The same guy who trained Charles Taylor and you be the judge on how that turned out. The same guy who had sponsored the IRA for bomb blasts in Britain, helped in raising militant islamist group in Philippines, a supporter and personal financier of Slobodan Milosevic even whilst he was going about this "ethnic cleansing" business. Tried unsuccessfully to annex neighboring states such as Algeria, Chad, Tunesia, Sudan and Egypt despite being repeatedly told to fuck off. The Janjaweed militiamen were some of his former soldiers, the consequences of which are in Darfur, Sudan. Rather work with the Libya we have now.