Music Banter - View Single Post - The Worst Possible Movie Thing Has Happened
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #61 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well, first of all, Qui Gon Jinn was the only good character in all three of the movies. Everyone else was a two dimensional cardboard cutout. That's not necessarily their fault, since the dialogue could have been written for Days of Our Lives (in content and quality). He was the only character in any of those movies that I actually enjoyed watching on screen, and who therefore gave any of those scenes any semblance of immersion.

Secondly, as poorly made as Phantom Menace was, it still had a recognizable plot that had some semblance of a flow. I honestly have problems recalling what even happened in the other two, because it just seemed to be characters going to do arbitrary things that supposedly advanced the plot, but were just excuses for cheesy CGI effects shots or just poorly executed dialogue scenes meant to get us to the cheesy CGI effects shots.

And lastly (I could probably come up with more, but I'm lazy), Phantom Menace worked as an entertaining children's movie, while the other two movies failed as teenage fluff that remind me of Twilight movie commercials. Phantom Menace may not have been a good Star Wars movie, but I can at least watch it and derive some form of enjoyment out of it.
Well, I guess we just feel completely opposite about these movies. To me Qui-Gon Jinn was not a particularly memorable character since he was basically a clone of Obi-Wan from the originals. The best characters, imo, were Obi-Wan, the Emperor and Yoda, and one of the most interesting things about the prequels was the way these three evolved and slowly turned who they were in the first trilogy. As far as the plots go, Phantom Menace is the one with the story that I found the least memorable and least relevant—some poorly explained trade dispute that has nothing to do with in anything in the larger story aside from getting the characters all together in one place. The other two were actually key pieces of the larger storyline and much more entertaining movies.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote