Music Banter - View Single Post - 80's classic rock songs???
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Me using "was" was a typo and sounds like I did it in bad humour, I'd forgotten that he had been very ill. The positive reaction to his voice is nothing new though. Most reviewers along with myself would easily include Lou Gramm in the first division of AOR vocalists along with the likes of Bobby Kimball, Jimi Jameson, Steve Perry and Brad Delp.

It was a surprise to see the drummer pushed so far forward but it's not unheard of either. There is a definite comparison between Lou Gramm and Robert Plant as a vocalist, but of course Lou Gramm had a much stronger voice.
Oh! I hadn't thought you said "was" in bad humour; I just thought it meant Lou Gramm was dead! I haven't yet listened to how his voice sounds now, although I'm curious and probably will.

While trying to decide whose male AOR voice I like best, I refreshed my memory by listening of the vocals of Bobby Kimball, Jimi Jamison, Steve Perry, and Brad Delp of Toto, Survivor, Journey, and Boston, respectively. I also listened again to some Robert Plant. I feel Steve Perry's and Brad Delp's voices sound sweeter, more refined (more vibrato), and less edgy, and so I definitely prefer Lou Gramm's rougher voice to theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
The video looks like footage from American Bandstand, the song is truncated, and the saxophonist isn't the person who played in studio (and I'm not sure that band member can even play the saxophone).

Anyway, I'm making some progress in thinking of my own list of best 80's classic rock songs.
I've been wanting to find out your favorites, so I look forward to your list.

I looked again more carefully at that 1981 "Urgent" video by Foreigner...

Foreigner - Urgent (1981) - Original Video - YouTube

...and now I'm wondering, were they even playing the music we hear? It just doesn't seem like the sound of the drums line up with the hits, and the vocals sound too clean and even, given Lou Gramm's motions wrt the mic.

About the saxophonist, I looked at Wikipedia and was shocked to see how many different musicians have composed Foreigner over the years (Foreigner (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I'm not used to a band where it keeps the same name but almost all the members change. The saxophonist on the recording was Junior Walker, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urgent_(song). And he definitely isn't the sax player in that 1981 video!

Junior Walker - played sax for "Urgent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina85 View Post
What a coincidence that just above my post I find also the fans of Foreigners.

I just listened to their "That was yesterday" because it clearly describes my current situation - I'm in a bad mood because of the pride of my beloved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina85 View Post
I wonder if some male has ever dared to sing a song dedicated to another man in a way that made ​​Joan here...

P.s. Sorry for my bad English.
No worries about your English. I understood you fine. It is nice when a song relates to your situation in life. I hope your beloved's love will take precedence over pride.

I can't think of any famous cover songs where a man sings to another man the way Joan Jett sang a song dedicated to a woman. It would be fun, for example, to hear some male band singing "Warrior" by Patty Smyth.

"Shooting at the walls of heartache" takes on a different meaning coming from a man than from a woman.

Patty Smyth and Scandal - The Warrior (HiQuality) - YouTube

(^This reminds me: I dislike any song that has the words "bang bang" in it.)
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-09-2012 at 11:39 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote