Music Banter - View Single Post - 80's classic rock songs???
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan and Robert Plant's voice was great on those albums and fitted the music perfectly. Listening to his solo discography though, shows all the flaws and faults with his voice and shows his limitations.

Steve Perry was probably the most diverse of the vocalists I've mentioned, his voice excelled at both the powerful stuff and the slower more sensitive stuff equally. Brad Delp as you say is refined and Jimi Jameson has real power and clarity but Bobby Kimball will always be my favourite of the bunch (just) his voice had a unique funky feel that lent itself perfectly to the Toto sound. BTW are you sure you actually listened to Bobby Kimball, as the band 4 vocalists in total He would sing on about 50% of the tracks with Steve Lukather, David Paich and Steve Pocaro singing on the rest.
Now that you mention it, no, I'm not sure I was listening to Bobby Kimball! I *thought* I was, but I didn't know that Toto had 4 vocalists.

I think Bobby Kimball is the shorter, higher-pitched man singing at 0:33 in this old video for "Rosanna." Am I right? He sings well, but I think if his range doesn't go down lower then he'd be somewhat limited as a vocalist. He's still singing, though, which is great!

Toto - "Rosanna"
I had never seen this video before today and, I must say, it gives me a really creepy vibe, like I'm watching the start of a gang rape in a car shop/junk yard.

toto--rosanna--video clip - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I'd say he was a prime example of an AOR vocalist of that time.
I feel Jimi Jamison does a fine job singing two of my favorite Survivor songs, "High On You" and "I Can't Hold Back." He's a strong singer with a great range and perfectly in tune. I prefer a rougher voice (think Dan McCafferty of Nazareth singing "Love Hurts") but Jamison's voice seems to me to have more grit than the voices of Steve Perry and Brad Delp, so I prefer Jamison. Mind you, I haven't heard all songs by these singers, so I'm basing my conclusions on a limited number of songs.

(Robert Plant's voice in Led Zeppelin's music vs. his solo work: I think I prefer the sound of his voice in his solo work, but I feel the songs have less lyrical complexity to them, so I am usually a little disappointed in them. <-- This is based mostly on my memories of listening to Zeppelin and Robert Plant during a "phase" I had 15 years ago, so I'd need to listen again to be sure of my impressions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
Foreigner - Urgent (no need to repost the link)

Bryan Adams - One Night Love Affair

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Great White - The Angel Song

As you can see, I like story-telling relating to love backed by musical complexity. And anyone who isn't impressed by the piano playing in #5 has some kind of problem.
The piano playing *is* very good. (Don't wanna have any additional problems. )

"Hysteria" -- I've always liked that song because it has a disturbed, tortured, yet beautiful sound. I should have listed some Def Leppard songs among my favorites from the '80s. I like the feeling of wild abandon of their songs, which sound sunny and dark at the same time. They have such rich, deep notes, which I love, plus great rhythm guitar and satisfying drum hits. I like how their songs often sound euphoric with crescendos of energy leading to brilliant-sounding plateaus. I'm realizing I should include Def Leppard as one of my favorite bands. There. Fixed.

"One Night Love Affair" is my 3rd favorite Bryan Adams song. "Run to You" is my 2nd favorite. My favorite of all is "Summer of '69." It makes me feel like I got my first real six string at the 5 'n dime and played it 'til my fingers bled, back when me and some guys from school had a band. I become nostalgic for a life I never led.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote